OFVGA Submits Comments to Ontario's Pre-Budget Consultations
The OFVGA recently submitted comments to the Ontario government in support of their pre-budget consultations.
The focus of OFVGA's submission was:
- Maintaining adequate resources at the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs to support the sector’s economic contributions through:
- maintaining staff expertise
- supporting the Foodland Ontario brand
- predictability of Canadian Agricultural Partnership funding
- Completing the Edible Horticulture Support Program with the final payment in 2019.
- Executing the campaign commitment of increasing Risk Management Program cap from $100 to $150 million in year three of the government’s mandate.
- Ensuring the continuity of the Northern Fruit and Vegetable Program for northern and Indigenous communities.
- Maintaining operations of the Ontario Food Terminal.
- Exempting food production from carbon pricing.
- Red tape reduction recommendations for the Canadian Agricultural Partnership, Environmental Compliance Assessments, Permits to Take Water, and pest management.